Friday, November 28, 2008

Dinner and Shopping

I'm back in my hometown. I don't have much to write, except that the pie went over very well; I guess I envisioned people refusing to eat it, or asking if they detected cumin- but after a thousand calories of turkey and stuffing, people will eat anything if it's covered by enough whipped cream. In fact, there was a young lady who does not like pie, so we gave her whipped cream on a plate. I'm pretty sure she managed to scrape off a thin layer of ceramics getting the last molecules of whipped cream.

I had the annual conversation about dishware with recluse uncle Steve- the dishes are the Stanford colors red and white, but they depict scenes on the Berkeley campus. Once again, I got minor points for suggesting that Berkeley took pity on a person who had graduated from Stanford and could find no job but painting plates. Steve, my brother and I were relegated to the not real adults card table, and that was my only real contribution to the conversation. I guess I also said I wasn't married yet. And then for some reason I got all awkward and defensive. I love Thanksgiving.

I also had the worst gravy I have ever eaten in my life. This includes the time BJ and I accidentally made three cups of bacon gravy, and I ate some after it had been in the fridge for a mite too long.

The deviled eggs were pretty bad too, but the pie hater made those, and I ate three in learning to cook solidarity. They weren't disgusting, just salty.

Today I started making apple butter and went clothes shopping with my mom. It was a new store full of things I did not want, the storekeeper was very attentive, and no one else was there. While I was calculating the minimum number of things we could purchase before we escaped, my mother was chatting cheerily about formal shorts and gusseted women's pants. Fortunately for my wardrobe, the women's clothes were for skinny little snowboarding ladies. The store does have really nice potted plants- some Sarricinia, a huge Ficus, and some geraniums edged with Irish moss.

Apparently, I need to go collect pine cones. I hope you are all having a happy post Thanksgiving.

No comments: