Sunday, January 3, 2010

Next Bubble: the Wedding Industrial Complex

I break the promise again while I wait for my ancient computer to move files around.

So y'all have already heard ALL about the event planning friends. I was a little surprised to have such a business in my wheelhouse- in my mind, all my friends are botanists and programmers. I'm not too startled when someone shows up with a grown-up job, (Oh you are a teacher? We are OLD.) but the whole quasi artistic/events industry has always seemed to belong to another class of person. You know, the people who'd like my taste in music, but for the wrong reasons. People who like the Be Good Tanyas for their harmonic structures instead of because it's field worker music. People who believe that pop country can be listened to ironically. People who eat a lot of local food and will be the first to die when the crash comes.

Right, that's a little bit of personal insecurity neatly exposed.

But I was looking through my Facebook friends, and I realized that I have three (3) wedding photographer friends. I have four friends who sell things (laser etched cutting boards! embroidered handkerchiefs!) that seem to exist only as wedding gifts and favor fodder. I have one friend (and her crowd) who do flowers for ceremonies. I am also apparently blessed with six acquaintances who are willing to officiate at weddings.

That's too many people working in the wedding industry. The center cannot hold.

No comments: