Thursday, July 3, 2008

And I thought I explained the ducklings.

I got asked to use simpler words today. My offending words? Pernicious and obiquious. Excellent. And I hate botany rules for data formatting. If you're going to be that picky, you should put togather a database that edits information for you. INFP means "I construct logical frameworks to compensate for my flakiness and disorganization". It means "I can't remember things that are a certain way just because".

We in the RAD BOTS have a term for following the Logistics Chief or Incident Commander and writing down everything they say while firing off all the questions generated since the last time they came through: being a duckling. Two or three people will trail behind an important and informed person and quack repeatedly. I guess on day eight or so, we were sort of zombie ducklings...

But I get a day off, two days before my 14th day, so yay. And I don't know whether I'm going back to fire. Lord knows I'm not good at it, and it's not what I want to do, but the people are a lot nicer- Imagine, I actually like my boss- and the money is good... It all depends on the weather and fate. And which task books I'm allowed to complete. Between you and me, the real number should be 0, but I might get as many as 2. The advantages of sounding like my mother and causing no trouble.

We had to throw together a series of rides for 20 odd people going to three different places on our own tonight, and did pretty well. We asked the trails person to drive one bunch- she dresses and acts like she's pretty enough to get away with anything, but I'm not seeing it. It may be that her whole faces is botchy and her eyes are swollen shut because of the smoke- although she still uses lots of pink in her makeup. I thought she just lacked an understanding of appropriate color usage, but having sat in for her thrice while she goes and harangues her doctor for steriods, I now know- allergies. She's thirty five, she should really have an actual personality by now.

Anyways, she said she'd love to drive, so we called her seven times when she was on call. No answer. She waltzed in an hour later, and asked where we wanted her to go. I said,
"Well, everyone already left because we couldn't reach you." She pouted. (Actual, literal pout.)
"I really wanted that overtime! I was right next to my phone, I would have heard it ring!" A sigh, a hairflip "Oh well, it would have interferred with my plans for this evening."

And that is why I am still in W town, staffing the Communications center whilst other people who volunteered to do this as a favor went to deliver crews. I haven't seen C since Friday- his birthday- for an hour- and haven't been home since the Sunday before. I hope her evening plans go swimmingly.

No comments: