Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm a grown-up

When we house hunted in Redding, it was a bit hellish. I didn't know what the neighborhoods were like, so I'd pursue a cheap house out into the middle of county services territory. (I recall a vivid trip to a dumpy house next to the veterinary quarantine, juvenile detention center, and rock crushing plant {6-2:30, M-S}) We had no local references and the shady credit reports of recent graduates. I had a job, but SeƱor C did not, and that was not viewed with equanimity by potential landlords. Eventually, I stopped bringing him house hunting, and instead towed along a chipper coworker/roommate who is still on our lease, though she only stops here to leave lemon tarts and smooch her boy.

Now we're looking for a place to live in Davis, and it's easier. I know where everything is, and have a very strict idea of where I want to live. (Downtown) Also, now I know the magic words: "job", "deposit", "fiancee", "references". You would not believe how nice people to young professionals house hunting in a college town. It's pretty cool.

No comments: