Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I make good on the promises of my first post.

Say a djinn appeared and allowed me to make one bit of feminist theory reality. Would I choose the end of rape culture? Equal pay for equal work? Government subsidized child care for all? Rejection of unrealistic body images?

Nope, In the heat of the moment I'd probably blurt out "End bikini area grooming requirements".

On a quasi-related note: Amy and I were discussing our responses to inappropriate questions during interviews. Both of us had been asked if we were married, she was asked if she was planning to procreate in the immediate future. Interview experts suggest turning the subject to how you won't have any problems doing the work- that your child care issues are resolved, that your husband doesn't mind you being gone for months at a time.

Amy's response: "Shyeah, that's none of your business."
My response: "You know that question is illegal, right?"

We both got the job.

3 comments:

--- said...

Just to clarify-- I've never had a "bikini area" discussion with Janeric. Never.

Janeric said...

It was kind of an awkward transition, wasn't it?

Never. I'm waaaay too self conscious to bring it up anywhere but the eternal internets.

--- said...

Silly bean, it was a hilarious transition. Besides, the internet was invented to talk about one's crotch [semi]anonymously...

Also, today at lunch Ryan said he'd save you a berth on the "Shaving Pirate Ryan" disaster/boat. I told him he is allowed only one girlfriend at a time. Yay feminism.