Friday, September 25, 2009

Burn, Bridges, Burn!

... Every time I move away from a city, I get a "salt the earth and sow thistles" kinda feeling. I think this may be bad.

So I went back to Christmas Island for a couple of days, for to discover how woefully inadequate I am about self promotion and data entry. Also, I got to spend time with a coworker who I've always felt moderate dislike for. It's strange- I'm accustomed to my disfavor turning to grudging respect or virulent hatred- but I feel the same unpleasant grinding irritation instead.

Also, BJ lives five miles from campus. He eats a dinner plate completely covered with hash browns and hamsteak every morning. Also, a soup bowl full of yogurt and berries. I always wondered how he kept that frame going while eating roughly the same amount of dinner as me. He, on the other hand, assumed that I ate as much breakfast as he did- something I tried valiantly to do. Then, a brisk five mile bike ride, then eight hours of data entry.

I got a ride back to my car- and BJ's house- from a co-worker; I am a baby and also I had a file box full of papers which I did not want to balance on a bike. When we drove up to the house- which has a few cars being repaired in the driveway, a dead lawn, and a couple of gentlemen in grimy tanks smoking in the garage- he gave me a look.
"You parked HERE?" he asked? One of the gentlemen started to saunter towards us. "How about I drive down the block?"

The suggested spelling for "hamsteak" is "hamster".

1 comment:

Janeric said...

It's a nice neighborhood- but some of the roommates generate an aura of slumminess where ever they are