Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Conversations.

C is working from home today. I overheard a conversation with his boss. Afterwards, I said,
"I'm constantly surprised by the different styles for office communication in men and women. If I were having that conversation, I would have said 'thank you' and 'please' a lot more and just a landslide of conditional statements and compliments. Even when I edit my brother's internship applications, he gets angry because I say things like "such an honor" and "very prestigious" and "I would be so grateful if..." He says it sounds feminine and conciliatory."
"Does he get those internships?"
"They're competitive."
"And prestigious. Do all my former bosses like and respect me?"
"Do they?"
"Have you considered the possibility that he and I are just aren't very bright?"

No comments: