Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sup'

We had our family meeting today at work- we're all one big happy family, with members who don't bother to show up and most younger people sulking in corners, waiting to escape. It was like Thanksgiving, but with more talk of noxious weeds.

Anyways, there was a video from the Washington office head honcho, Gail Santiago. It discussed climate change. We in the forest service have a three pronged approach to fighting climate change: Manage (or spend more money on fire), reduce consumption (use florescent bulbs), and research. I was pleased to recognise a photo of the Bishops and their mountaintop research about five slides into the research montage. Their work is consistently awesome. However, the next photo was of their plot system, and then their minion, and then all of them, from a distance, squinting at a plant. Then there were four photos of birds, and the montage was over. I can only conclude that the Forest Service has only three global warming projects. Awesome.

I thought it would be constructive to make a list of all the things that my boss has mentioned I should stop doing in the last couple of days:
1.) Don't always sit in the front seat of the car.
2.) Don't sleep in the car.
3.) Don't sit upright with eyes tightly closed participating in the conversation in the car.
I assume I'm also not supposed to puke, but I'm not sure, since after the last one I went back to sleep as violently as I know how.
4.) Don't ask the driving instructor all those questions about driving law.
Boy, we're going to have fun working together.
5.) Don't leave the barracks such a mess.
6.) Hey, remember when I heard from someone that the barracks were a mess? Yeah, they shouldn't be a mess.
7.) Did I mention that you should never leave a mess in the barracks?
I'd think she was making a point, but I check every damn time to see if a new complaint has been made, and it's the same one. Every time. I know I live in filth, but in the barracks I'm in permanent guest mode. I had six magazines on the table, dishes in the sink, and a swamp of dirty clothes on the floor of my room.
8.) You forgot to chock the truck
9.) Don't chock the truck like that.
10.) Don't get out of the car, we need to go. What do you mean, don't forget the chock?
11.) Don't leave the plants there, put them where I told you to put them.
12.) Where are those plants you misplaced?

Between that and the twice daily squeals of "Omygod, you used to be only this tall! I'm so oooollld, now that you're an adult. Jesus, you used to be a baby!*" I"m really enjoying working here.

*Innappropriate response: "As did you"

No comments: