Thursday, August 19, 2010

Infraction

I've been working in and around several campgrounds this summer. What with my elan and presence, people naturally assume I'm an authority figure. (I wear the orange vest of authority and carry the shiny clipboard of authority. The orange vest of authority is also the orange vest of not getting shot and the orange vest of being buzzed by hummingbirds. The shiny clipboard is sometimes used as a seat in particularly poisonoaky areas. Thus do I abuse my regalia.) Mostly I get scolded for how poorly things are run.

A couple weeks ago some teenagers were preparing to jump off a high bridge. When they saw me coming, they pretended that they were looking at some fish in the lake below. To my lasting regret I did not pull out my day planner, stare straight at them, and tap my foot until they either jumped or skulked off.

Five minutes later someone yelled at me because a couple of campgrounds were closed. I smiled real big, told her all about the terrible storms that had destroyed lots of campsites, apologized, and sent her to the next campground down the road.

2 comments:

--- said...

I might paint "private citizen" and "botanist" on my orange vest.

Or bum one off of a local construction firm, with a logo. "Mike's Masonry and Tile"

Either way, should solve your "fed" problem.

Drewscriver said...

Get a vest where the shiny orange part is reversible. Private citizen stuff on one side, official looking type on the other.