Thursday, October 30, 2008

First day at work

It was pretty uneventful, actually. I've been impossible to live with, throwing out hypothetical situations where everyone spits on me because I wore the wrong color, but everyone was very nice. There were two bad things, and one amusing thing:

One of the grad students brought lemon bars. They were terrible.

During my interview, they said
"You'll basically be replacing incredibly intelligent and energetic dude that everyone knows" and I turned pale and said
"I'm not at all qualified to do his job." So they hired me. When I met this man today for the second time, I really wish I'd recognized him. He remembered me, the bastard. It was a little uncomfortable.

And the amusing thing- I worked for one professor for two summers. (Castle Lake) I took two of his classes, went to lots of office hours, proctored a lab for him, went to a couple of parties at his house, and got drunk with him twice. (Okay, he got drunk, other people got drunk, I had a drink. I am lame.) I bumped into him in the hall, and my new professor pointed me out. He shook my hand and said,
"Welcome aboard, Jane. It's nice to meet you."
So, um, that's one of my possible letters for grad school down the tubes. Damn. I would have tried to jog his memory, but I'd been recently reminded that it's an embarrassing experience.
"A pleasure, Doctor." worked just fine.

No comments: