Thursday, November 13, 2008

Baking

I made bread today. It was the rapid rise no knead whole wheat loaf that Mike suggested. (Thanks Mike!) I suspect it would be far better if I had not left the dough in the fridge for twenty-four hours, but hey, it's nowhere near the worst loaf of bread I've made. (That would be the no knead bread where I replaced instant yeast with... not instant yeast. It was yeasty. And brick hard.) I mean, this stuff would float. And the residual mess is quite small. In fact, it's quite tasty. I think I'll make it again, but follow the recipe. And find a timer.

3 comments:

Drewscriver said...

You mean this recipe? http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=11829
Hmm, I can see how letting it rise longer would tend to counterbalance keeping it in the fridge, but I'm no where near good enough to judge if those two factors actually even out.

Regardless, I'm glad it turned out for you.

Janeric said...

This one!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

But I love cooks, and the recipe looks actually better than mine. Hmm.

Drewscriver said...

Ahh, the original recipe. I keep meaning to try it, but I've gotten good enough results using the cooks version that I haven't gotten around to it.