Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lame Downer Post

I still have the patriotic fervor carefully instilled by the American educational system. I'm quite happy Obama's our future president. However, people are saying that his election eliminates our history of slavery and segregation. (or maybe I should stop reading Time) Regardless, voting for the best candidate at the right time does not make everything better. We made the best economic decison and we expect to get patted on the head.

I can't think of anything that the United States has done that comes close to the awesomeness of the Slave Trade Act of 1807. Britain decided that the slave trade was morally unconscionable, blockaded the Coast of West Africa, and declared any ship carrying slaves a pirate ship. That's a financial catastrophe! (Except for the cash from ships siezed)

I guess that still doesn't make up for 150 years of the slave trade, but it's a good start.

No comments: