Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Raised by the hardcore left.

There's an xkcd where two characters are humming the same tune- then they burst into song for the chorus, and find that they are singing songs from vastly different subcultures. (I can't find the cartoon!)

Same thing happened to me in a car at work. Except he broke out with "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" and I warbled "The union makes us strong!" That's really all you need to know about my upbringing.

So there's a great song called "Guantanamera"- it's about a girl from Guantanamo. There has to be a joke in there, right? A humorous retranslation that will make me seem clever in two languages. I looked up the lyrics for ideas.

I am an honest man
from the land of the palms
and before dying, I want to share the music of my lost home.

I pray the poor people of the earth
will be spared my fate
the song of the mountain brook
pleases me more than the sea.

Y para el cruel que me arranca
El corazon con que vivo
Cardo ni ortiga cultivo
Cultivo la rosa blanca

So now I feel petty. There isn't really anything you can add to a sweet song from man exiled and imprisoned because he was fighting for his countries Independence from the USA. It doesn't really lend itself to sarcasm Hey, George Bush! You made José Martín ironic and sad!

Mostly I remembered the "My poems are hellof colors and also vivid wildlands imagery" part of the song.


If I were in love with someone of a similar cultural background, Arroyo de las Sierras would totally be on the short list for baby names. Señor C vetos everything fun as an "affront to his culture".

1 comment:

Janeric said...

I thought of a way. I will not be using it as a joke. People would thing less of me.