Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Actively selected against.

Cuervito once told me it was a miracle any botanists managed to reach an age where they could reproduce. We were discussing cold remedies, and they all involved placing significant stress on infecting organisms and minor stress on ourselves. I scoffed that hot showers, wasabi, scarves in the summer, and hot rags on the face could prove to be so harmful to humans that it reduced reproductive success.

I burned myself last week, doing that stupid thing I like to do with fire and cardboard. (It has resulted in minor disaster on about 44% of attempts. ) It's a tiny burn so no one looks twice. However, I did burn the skin to ash (again) there is a divot in the flesh of my finger (I never learn) and it did get infected.

Here's where my disparate topics can be woven together. I am currently in the Conquistador household where they are so perfect as to never have minor injuries that urgently require disinfection. I considered washing out my bitty burn with contact solution, creme hair bleach, antifungal ointment, CLR, 409, and hot water and soap.

You'll all be pleased to know I decided on hot water and soap.

Unless you read this for the schadenfreude.

2 comments:

--- said...

peroxide is good for this too, esp. deeper wounds, and they should have it in their house.

also, for a time i carried disinfectant and band-aids with me because i was forever skinning knuckles and knees. pro-tip: be your own first aid kit.

Janeric said...

They do not! And my first aide kit is giant gauze pads, tape, and Benedryl. I guess I need some sort of antiseptic.