Saturday, January 16, 2010

Watch me be snowed in by a terrible blizzard.

The conference is over, it went very well. I networked like a bee, and feel only slightly tarnished. I feel that I have a natural advantage over say, Drewscriver, because no one in botany really networks. I hand people a business card, or ask them about job details, and they act surprised and impressed. It feels disingenuous, because all they could pick up from such actions is that I am well prepared, organized, and good at following social convention. I probably couldn't misrepresent myself more if I worked at it.

But now it is over, and apparently I am feeling really tetchy. Yesterday, Cuervito offered some advice on making my business cards look less like I slapped them together on my mom's printer- and I kinda ate his face. I'm chalking it up to temporarily forgetting my manners- there are people where I have to dust off the tacts and sensitivities and consider their feelings and so forth, and then there are those really irritating people I get in a headlock and yell at about typefaces. Man, those people drive me up the wall. Also I date them exclusively.

There's also some sort of massive storm front coming in- I know this because "the weather" is one of the safe conversation topics in my house- no one will mutter about betrayal when we talk about the weather- and because I like plants, and plants like water, so I pay attention to the weather. I also know this because one of the aforementioned really irritating people sent a storm warning to the entire listserve. Thanks for warning me about a potentially life threatening situation, jerk. Right now it's 38 degrees and drizzling.

Biggest storm event in recent memory my foot.

1 comment:

Janeric said...

I should point out that Cuervito is *not* one of those people. I just got my wires crossed.

Arial. pfft.