Thursday, January 7, 2010

KFC

Back in 1991, Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC. As of today, I've heard reasons for them eliminating each word in their old name.

Kentucky: Kentucky passed a law charging for each commercialized use of the state's name. That's why you don't hear Randy Newman's "Old Kentucky Home" anymore. (I totally thought this was true for years, but today I thought at it a bit and find my reasoning shaky. I can't find any internet evidence that this is so, and it seems... plum crazy.)

Fried: Fried now has unhealthy connotations. (This is the reason on snopes. Fascinating, isn't it.)

Chicken: Genetically engineered super chickens with four legs and eight breasts can no longer be legally called "chicken". Instead, KFC. (I think they probably could legally be called chicken.)

5 comments:

Janeric said...

Current research indicates they are in fact wolf testicles.

Dennis said...

C'mon, given the option who would actually CHOOSE to name themselves after Kentucky?

Mike said...

The most convincing reason I've heard put forth is that KFC wanted to expand their menu options, but felt limited by having 'fried chicken' in their name.

--- said...

What does it say about my personality that whenever I come across the "its not chicken" meme I am compelled to point out that there is no such creature? There are no four-legged chickens. Period.

Sorry, like I said, its a compulsion.

Janeric said...

I don't know, you could mess around with the homeobox, get it to stutter and make more tasty legs and thighs instead of wings....

I'm really more concerned about the increase in breasts.