Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pfeffernusse

Many of you have heard me expound on my family's recurring pfeffernusse madness. There's an old family recipe which involves a great deal of powdered sugar, a very slow oven, and a toothbreaking peppercorn lurking deep within the adamantine cookie. The smallest recipe is for one gross (144 cookies) and my great-aunts and cousins have been known to blithely double or triple it it. It's a given that we'd receive a several boxes containing a dozen of these terrifying pastries- my sainted mother even succumbed one year, though she hates the damn things. I've been insulated from the recipe- to avoid triggering the syndrome.

C and I were at Trader Joe's this week, and he snuck a box of pfeffernusse into the shopping basket. They're an entirely different cookie- tender little spice cakes with a dusting of powdered sugar. I'd like to make some, but I fear looking up a recipe will only call down the madness.

How do you get tiny spice cakes to not get all dry and hard?

1 comment:

--- said...

faster oven, of course. also, cake flour. but really, would it still be a cookie if nobody could chip a tooth?